Whole Life Challenge
8 Weeks to a New You!
CrossFit Downtown Winston (CFDW) is one of hundreds of CrossFit Affiliates nationwide who will be participating in the WHOLE LIFE CHALLENGE that is ALSO open to the friends and family members of CFDW. An administration fee of $49 is all that’s required of each participant! And you might ask, “But WHY would I PAY to go on a diet?” The Whole Life Challenge (WLC) encompasses SO much more than a number on the scale! Yes, it IS about looking better, but also feeling better and performing better too! The entry fee gets provides you with TONS of resources and connects you with others who keep you on track until you finish – because ACCOUNTABILITY is the key to CONSISTENCY! The most commonly heard praise from CFDW members who have completed the challenge is that the accountability helped them stick to this challenge more than ANY OTHER nutrition program! PLUS the added benefit of looking and feeling so great!! The challenge officially begins on Saturday, May 3 and concludes on Saturday, June 27. In between those dates, participants will get in the best shape of their lives, learning new health habits along the way. The Whole Life Challenge is an 8-week health and fitness program designed for EVERYONE, where each participant learns to improve their habits to better their entire lives. Change Your Life – Signup Now!
(aka WHAT’S THE DEAL)
The Whole Life Challenge is an 8-week health and fitness adventure designed for you! There are three categories for the game – Performance, Physical Improvement (losing those inches!), and Lifestyle Habits. This is not just a “change your body” challenge. It is a “who you are” challenge! If you play all out you won’t believe the results you can get!
1. GET REGISTERED
Go to the CFLB-WLC website from now until May 3 and create your account. The fee for entering the challenge is $49.
2. CHALLENGE PRELIMS On Saturday, May 3, the 9:30 will be doing the WLC workout. During the class you will be measured and will preform a preliminary workout. These measurements will be used to determine winners at the completion of the challenge. If you cannot make any of the classes on Saturday, May 3 please email Kristin (email@example.com) to discuss make-up options.
Pre-Game Huddle Wednesday, April 30, 7:30pm – 8:00pm – ASK your Challenge Questions BEFORE we start! Saturday, May 3, 9:30am – 11:00am *This is where we will go over the rules of the WLC, what you CAN and CAN’T eat, and other important information. WLC Workout
Clear rules • Knowing what actions to take. You will know exactly what to do and for 8 weeks. This game provides clear rules for your daily CHALLENGE requirements. As you log your score on the LEADERBOARD you will be able to track your progress! Most importantly, you don’t have to be “perfect!” By making an honest daily effort and earning bonus points, you will learn how having a dedicated practice gives you the freedom to have it all – vibrant health and a life you love to live!
Tracking and scoring • Being present daily! You will score yourself on the challenge website EACH DAY based on how closely you followed the rules of the game. Scoring daily, you will stay present to your actions and the results you get day by day. You will see your score every day on the LEADERBOARD and you will have the chance to see the scores of your friends and family as well!
Community • Not doing it alone. You will be working with TONS of people who are up to the same adventure as you – figuring out how to make it work, and sharing what’s working! There is no “winner’s zone” on the LEADERBOARD. Rather, it’s the place for you to track where things currently are for you. Wherever you are, you are not alone! The Whole Life Challenge works by giving you a structure to follow, a concrete way for tracking your daily actions, and a community of people encouraging your success every day!! Play full out and you can’t lose!
3. PLAY THE GAME – RULES + POINT SYSTEM The game consists of four areas: NUTRITION, WORKING OUT, STRETCHING AND SUPPLEMENTING.
- Nutrition – THERE ARE 3 LEVELS FOR NUTRITION
Advanced: No grains or starches (legumes ARE permitted), corn or soy, sugars or artificial sweeteners (stevia is allowed), juice, alcohol, dairy (butter IS permitted), artificial or processed foods. NOTE: Vegetarians may consume brown rice, quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat, and fermented soy. You will start every day with 5 points for nutrition. Subtract 1 point for every violation of the nutrition rules. You can finish the day with 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 points
Intermediate: ALL RULE FOR ADVANCED APPLY WITH THE FOLLOWING EXCEPETIONS: brown rice, quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat, and wild rice, corn oil, soy oil. Sugar as an ingredient in SAVORY (not dessert) foods, e.g. marinara sauce, canned soups, broths, etc., is allowed. Stevia as a sweetener is allowed. Butter, fermented dairy (yogurt, kefir, etc). Kombucha, 1 glass of wine or spirits per WEEK. Cooking with alcohol permitted. Vegetable juice, fruit puree (blended fruits containing all the pulp). Xanthan gum and guar gum are allowed.
Beginner: ANYTHING FROM ADVANCED + INTERMEDIATE PLUS: corn, and other whole grains. Sugar as an added ingredient to SAVORY (not dessert) foods, e.g. marinara sauce, canned soups, broths, etc., is allowed. Sugar to normally sweeten coffee or tea is allowed. Stevia or xylitol as a sweetener is allowed. Butter, fermented dairy (yogurt, kefir, etc) Kombucha, 1 glass of wine or spirits permitted per DAY. Cooking with alcohol permitted. Vegetable juice, fruit puree (blended fruits containing all the pulp). Any artificial ingredients “2% or less” (as stated in a list of ingredients on packaging), xanthan gum, and guar gum.
- Workout – In this challenge you will exercise EVERY DAY. The minimum requirement for your workout is 10 minutes of active recovery. That means that even if you are taking a day off from intense workouts, you must still engage in at least 10 minutes of activity (e.g. jogging, skating, biking, yoga, etc). Intensity is not the goal, consistency is. You will earn 2 points for your workout each day.
- Mobilization – Stretch or mobilize for 10 minutes every day. You will earn 2 points for mobilizing each day.
- Supplement – Take a supplement every day. Which one? Player’s Choice! Ideas: EPA/DHA omega-3 (fish oil), Vitamin D, probiotics, magnesium and anti-oxidant boosters. It is up to each player to choose their supplement, but take it every day to earn 1 more point! Note: Whey protein is not an acceptable supplement for the Whole Life Challenge.
- Lifestyle (a weekly rotating category) – Earn 1 point each for completing the prescribed lifestyle habit that week. The Lifestyle category rotates periodically and will include things like drinking water, sleep, mindfulness, etc.
- BONUS Points – Players earn two (2) bonus points by entering a REFLECTION when entering their score for five (5) consecutive days. REFLECTION is a text entry done on the daily scoring page that can be written about anything from the previous day. Failure to record a reflection results in the reflection count resetting to zero (0). From that point five (5) consecutive reflections must be entered in order to earn the bonus points. If a player has already earned all possible standard game-play points up to that point, bonus points will be “banked” for any time that a player records a less than perfect score. When that happens, points will automatically be transferred from the “bank” to the total score to make up the difference. Bonus points cannot ever give a player a total score that is greater than the total cumulative possible points on that day.
- Report Your Score – Every day during the challenge, starting Sunday, MAY 4, log into the WLC website and report your score for the previous day on the worldwide scoreboard. You must log your score by 11:59pm. Scoring is open (for the previous day) between midnight and 11:59pm (23 hours and 59 minutes). If a player fails to log their score within this time frame, they will receive zero (0) points for that previous day. ALL SCORES ENTERED ARE FINAL. Players have the chance to verify, cancel, change or otherwise modify their sore during daily score entry. There will be no altering of scores once they have been entered.
- Challenge Finale – Saturday, June 28. We will repeat the prelim’s measurements and workout. You will be ranked according to your improvement in both areas as a part of the determination of your overall ranking in your affiliate. If you cannot make the finals, be sure to schedule a make-up with Melissa.
- Winners – Winners will be determined at each CrossFit gym. You will only be competing against the members of CFDW. Your improvement rankings will be combined with your ranking on the scoreboard to determine the final winners. THERE WILL BE PRIZES FOR EACH CATEGORY!
For the Whole Life Challenge, there will be multiple ways to win cash and prizes! We will have an overall winner who will be determined by a combined ranking in their LEADERBOARD ranking, their ranking in WORKOUT IMPROVEMENT, and their ranking in BODY MEASUREMENT IMPROVEMENT. We will have winners from EACH CATEGORY: Advanced, Intermediate, and Beginner!! AND we will also have winners from the FRIENDS AND FAMILY category, SO encourage them to join in the fun! Change Your Life – Signup Now!
From May 3 to June 27, CFDW members who sign up for The Whole Life Challenge will be able to take advantage of ONE FREE EXTRA CLASS PER WEEK! ALSO, we will have OPEN GYM times every Sunday from 11-1pm. For those who are joining us as a FRIEND OR FAMILY member, each SATURDAY at 10:30 we will offer a community WLC workout and Q&A. Workouts will be between 15-20 minutes long followed by 10 minutes of mobility/stretching so you can get all of your points for that day! We will then offer a time for TIPS and QUESTIONS for 10-15 minutes. ANYONE signed-up for the WLC may attend. During those 8 Weeks, CFDW is hosting weekend events and to help bolster camaraderie and build a support group for those of you that are participating. We believe that hard work should always be rewarded with rest, fun and leisure and the best way to practice what we preach is to organize the fun. The following extracurricular events have been scheduled during The Whole Life Challenge and is part of your enrollment! Event Schedule:
- Saturday, May 24 – Potluck – 12:00pm to 2:00pm
- Saturday, June 7 – TBD – 11:00am to 12:00pm
- Saturday, June 20 – TBD – 11:00am to 1:00pm
Entry for these events are limited to Whole Life Challenge Participants only and if you know how much CFDW parties and get-togethers are, then you’ll know the price of admission is totally worth all the fun we’re going to have for 8 straight weeks! Change Your Life – Signup Now!
CrossFit Downtown Winston has partnered with some local businesses to offer incentives and to the winners of The Whole Life Challenge. A portion of everyone’s sign-up fee will go towards CASH so the more people that sign up, the larger the cash prizes. WLC Prize Categories Overall Winner (1rst – 2nd- 3rd place in each category)
- Class Passes
- and more!
WEEKLY Raffle Prizes Each week, every participant who reports a perfect total score will be eligible for a prize drawing! Change Your Life – Signup Now!
PRELIMS ON SATURDAY, MAY 3 at 9:30
The WLC performance test will be the workout of the day. For those participating in the WLC, you will be measured at the start of the class. The Finale Performance Test is scheduled for Saturday, June 28.
Having your post-WLC photos taken are completely optional (if you took PRE-WLC photos, it’s a great way to compare your results!). IF you DO want photos, please Bring Your Own Camera so that you can have these photos immediately at your disposal and for you to show off to the world! (Any camera is fine – iPhones, Androids, camera-phones, etc.)
CAN’T MAKE THE FINALE?
E-mail Kristin at firstname.lastname@example.org Completion of the Whole Life Challenge requires participation in the Finale on June28
After everyone has completed their performance test, we will immediately begin setting up for the Whole Life Challenge Finale Celebration! From 11am to 1PM on Saturday, June 28 the Festivities will have begun! Bring a dish/dessert/beverage to share and your friends and family that have supported you these last 8 weeks! You deserve to let your hair down a bit and have some fun! We will announce the winners of the Whole Life Challenge during the Celebration Party afterwards and will also raffle off amazing door prizes! See you all at the Finale! Change Your Life – Signup Now!